Most of my days throughout the year are spent rushing to get 3 beautiful girls ready for school, soccer games, basketball practices, driving them from one social event to another all while the latest Justin Bieber song plays on the radio. Then it’s what’s for dinner, homework, baths and bedtime stories. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t change one second of it, but every 3rd Sunday in June I get a break from it all.
Father’s Day will be here and gone before you know it. The third Sunday of June (June 17th, 2012) is the one day a year where it’s all about the man of the house. My morning will start with breakfast in bed, an afternoon nap and end with an evening Bar-B-Que. That seems to be the routine the past few years.
Lets just call Father’s Day what it really is, The one day a year where I get to take a nap and a new tie!
The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day. Father’s Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
- 70.1 million estimated father’s across the nation
- 25.3 million who were part of married couple families
- 1.8 milliion single fathers
- 8,111 men’s clothing stores around the country. A great place to buy dad a shirt & tie
- 16,010 hardware stores for the sought after hammer or screw drivers
- 22,116 sporting goods stores for the active dad
- 154,000 stay at home dads. AKA- Mr. Moms
There have been 2 sets of father-son Presidents of the United States. Can you name them? 1). John Adams was the 2nd U.S. President (1797-1801). His son John Quincy Adams became the 6th U.S. President (1825-1829). 2).George Bush was the 41st U.S. President (1989-1993). His son George W. Bush became the 43rd U.S. President (2001-2009).
Father’s Day Cards
- Hallmark recognizes Father’s Day as the 4th holiday for sending cards.
- 110 million cards are exchanged
- 50% of cards are given by sons and daughters
- 20% are given by wives
- 30% are given by relatives and friends to anyone who is a father
- Most popular type of cards are “Dad from Daughter”
- Hallmark produces over 800 card designs for Father’s Day
Dads take time Sunday to slow down, enjoy the day and take that rare afternoon nap. Happy Father’s Day!
*Sources and Stats for this blog- United States Census Bureau
Prudential Select Properties St Charles County Office, 636-720-1100